I have never configured a smart host and I only setup VPIM with DNS on the
Unity side.
I do not have a forward zone for CUE.

Primary zone has name of Unity and domain of ccievoice.com

Delivery zone is cue (hostname) and domain of IP address of CUE

I also create a mail Exchanger in the forward zone of Unity.

On CUE
add in the DNS server of Unity and domain name is localhost

on CUE Unity zone
create a network zone for unity and put in location ID of prefix digits.
Location name is unity hostname
domain name is ccievoice.com

on CUE CUE zone
location name is cue hostname
domain name is ip address of CUE

That is all have ever really configured and it works everytime.  I have not
had a problem with VPIM.

Thanks,
Ryan Trauernicht