The reason I think that RTP is not being sent directly between the phones is
because the instances of sound degradation are reproduced whenever my vmware
CUCM test cluster's processor spikes.  An odd coincidence.  The cluster's
performance shouldn't have any bearing after RTP stream communication is
started unless it is part of the call flow via software MTP termination.

Anyway, admittedly, this is a weak way to make a determination - the best
thing to do is start a call between the clusters and review the MTP stats as
the call is taking place, as you said.  Even so, if I remove software MTP
from the test cluster's MRG for the ICT device pool, I should be losing the
ability to transfer and place calls on hold across the cluster from the test
cluster's side.  Like I said, I tried it and it still seemed to work.  I can
accept a dynamic MTP allocation as a plausible explanation, but removing the
software MTP on one side entirely and still not impacting hold and trasfer
features across clusters tells me that I'm misunderstanding the context in
which MTPs are being used.

--
-Shikamaru