Congrats mate !!! Appreciate your kind inputs. Enjoy your number :)

--- On Mon, 11/2/09, Brian Valentine <bkvalent...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Brian Valentine <bkvalent...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [OSL | CCIE_Voice] V3 second attempt
To: "'Phil G'" <pgciscov...@gmx.net>, "'ccie OSL'"
<ccie_voice@onlinestudylist.com>
Date: Monday, November 2, 2009, 7:11 AM

Phil,

Congrats!  Quite the accomplishment!

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: ccie_voice-boun...@onlinestudylist.com
[mailto:ccie_voice-boun...@onlinestudylist.com] On Behalf Of Phil G
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2009 10:16 AM
To: ccie OSL

Here are my experience and strategy of journey to my CCIE:

After passing the written exam last year in May, i wanted to schedule a
lab and was very suprised that the soonest date was in January 2009. So
i took my first lab on 14th of January. I started to learn in October
2008 with my lab at my office, which was: 8 7960, 3 2801, 1 2651XM, a
3750 as HQ-Switch, a 3550 as Branch-Switch, a VG248 and an ATA. Server
Software was running on a DL380G4 with VMWare Workstation. Here the
first advise: NEVER schedule a lab short time after Xmas. Your family
may accept that they don't see you a lot of time during your training,
but Xmas => no chance. :-)

During my training for attempt #1 Cisco announced that the new V3-lab
will start in July 2009. So with 8 months waiting time for a lab-seat,
my first attempt in v2 would be my last attempt in v2. So all or nothing.

I failed in January. I decided not to look every day if there my be a
free seat, because i just wanted to keep my level of training that high
with nearly no chance of a seat. So my first thought was, my project
CCIE will go on for me in 2010.

But then in May 2009 i purchased the BLS solution of IPX and decided to
take a lab after the big change, so i scheduled a seat in August. I
started to rebuild my office lab, i got some 7965s and 7962s and the NFR
package and started to install the application-server on 2 DL380 G4
running VMWare ESXi. I kicked the 2651XM out and got a 2821 instead. So
my lab was ready for V3. Then i took the first V3 attempt. I failed
again, but this time it was OK, because now i don't had to wait 8 months
again, it was easy to get a seat whenever i wanted. So i analysed my
attempt, and took my second and successful v3-attempt on 22nd of
October. The OEQ-part this time was harder for me than the first
v3-attempt, but then the lab was pretty cool. The next day i got my number!

Time strategy is one of the most crucial part of the lab. You need your
OWN strategy. I have read a lot of postings and websites about time
strategy. But my own time strategy was very unusual:
I am not very fast on the keyboard and on IOS my best friend is ? and
the TAB-key, even in the real lab. I practiced in my office lab the
configurations, so that i was able to do 95% of all configuration
without checking any documentation. I configured nothing in notepad,
everything was configured directly on router-prompt, with help of ? and
TAB. I configured the several sections as the appear in the workbook.
Yes, you read correct. Nothing with: Touch every equipment only once, or
sort by technology. I started with section 1 and ended with the last
section. And believe it or not: time was never an issue in my lab
attempts. At my last attempt i had 1,5 hours for troubleshooting and 1,5
hours left for testing/checking the sections.

Training-sources: The common SRNDs, and for V3 the IPX-BLS, especially
the VOL 2 Labs, and my first V3-attempt. Yes, folks, it is OK to fail,
if you analyse your attempt inside out and learn what your weak topics
are and what topics are OK. You must know everything what has not worked
in your failed attempt and and you must learn in your lab how it is
working. Don't make the same mistakes twice.

HTH,

Phil G

Phil G wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I took my second V3-lab attempt on Thursday in Brussels (my third
> attempt in sum) and finally i got my number! As you can imagine i am
> very happy that i finally nailed it down. I want to thank everybody on
> this list, which has been a very use- and helpful resource during
> intensive lab-preparation.

For more information regarding industry leading CCIE Lab training, please
visit www.ipexpert.com