Great feeling when you figure it out on your own

I figured out the problem.
And as usual, I'm the architect of my own demise :)

I had redundant tftp-server statements for the term62.default.loads file.
(along with others as well)
One for SCCP and one for SIP.
tftp-server flash:/SCCP.8-3-3s/term62.default.loads alias
term62.default.loads
tftp-server flash:/SIP.8-3-3/term62.default.loads alias term62.default.loads

Apparently, if there are redundant tftp-server commands, the first one (in
this case SCCP) takes precedence.
As soon as I removed the first statement pointing towards the SCCP
term62.default.loads, the phone took the SIP image.

One more problem solved by endless hours of frustration ...