All -

I want to thank IPexpert for their help and support during the last year.  Amy
and Vik are incredible instructors.  They really want to form you into a true
CCIE, not just someone who can pass the test.  I am greatly indebted to the
amount of work they put into the v3 materials that they offer.  Way to go guys!

I also want to say a HUGE thanks to the IPexpert technical support guys: Drew
LePla, Ryan Barnum, and Andrew "B" Shipton.  You guys know how many times I
sent after-hours support requests!  Thank you for your help.

A thanks to my buddy, Mike Down aka "Frank" - You sold me a good deal on the
end-to-end package and provided plenty of sarcasm and customer service
throughout my journey.  Keep yer' stick on the ice, my friend.

I also want to thank my study partners: Antonio McCarver, Roger Källberg, Jeff
Cotter, Warren Heaviside, and the list goes on and on.  I made some great
friends on this journey.  You know who you are.  Let's keep in touch.

I also wanted to shoot out a few thoughts while things were still fresh in my
mind.

Tip 1: You begin taking the lab the night before
Make sure that you prepare yourself for the lab the night before.  My wife told
me to not have sugar or carbs because they can slow down your mental recall
abilities.  Don't eat heavy food. Try to avoid excess sugar and carbs.

Take a 30-45 minute walk the night before.  This will help alleviate stress and
provide "feel-good" endorphins that will help as you go to bed.  The morning of
the exam, do not have ANY sugar or carbs.  For me, I went to Denny's and had
eggs, bacon, and fruit.  Protein is good for endurance and mental alertness.
After having breakfast, I went for a 30 minute walk.  I was super nervous going
into the lab because it was my first attempt.  I felt that the walk in the
morning was a great stress reliever.  When I went into the lab, I was riding
high on those positive endorphins for the first hour.

Tip 2: Don't waste your "free" meal at Cisco's cafeteria
You get something like $13-14 to spend for lunch.  Following my wife's advice,
I avoided sugar and carbs.  I had a big salad with tons of protein (chicken,
bacon, eggs) and fruit.  I was tempted by the fresh pizza, burgers, and fries,
but managed to avoid them.  When I returned to the lab, I was alert and not
groggy in any way.  Other guys picked up sugary drinks, chocolate, cookies,
fries, etc.  Don't make that mistake!  You've invested a lot of time into your
preparation, don't handicap yourself by being undisciplined and eating junk
food for lunch.

Tip 3: Keep a spreadsheet to track your study progress
The CCIE lab requires a high level of personal dedication and perseverance.
Use a spreadsheet to track your study time.  Every Monday morning, I would
determine the number of hours I would study that week, clearly define what
IPexpert labs I would focus on, and what Cisco documents/concepts I would
study.  I would schedule my week and hold myself to it.

Logging your time can be a great confidence-booster as well.  By the time I
went in to the take the test, I had logged 600 hours worth of rack time and
another 350 hours worth of reading/reflection since January 1st.  I was able to
confidently tell myself, "Matthew, you know this!  You've done this many, many
times before."

Tip 4: Get involved in online study lists like the OSL
Gather people around you who will challenge you.  IPexpert's online study list
was a great way to meet other people and be challenged.  If you come across a
question, do your research, check the OSL archives, and then send an email out
to the group if you're still stumped.  Make an effort to be a contributor.
Don't just ask questions, but answer them as well.  I made a commitment early
on to answer at least one email once a week.  It was a great way to be
stretched.

I will write more on my blog over the next few weeks, but these were just a few
tips that really helped me.

You know, there's no shortcut to getting your CCIE.  In the end, it takes a lot
of hard work, sore muscles, awkward schedules, etc.  The reason Voice IEs are
so coveted in the marketplace is because there are so few of them.  Not many
people are willing to make the sacrifice in order to get the prize.  Commit
yourself to the goal, throw yourself into your study plan, and "get 'er done!"

Thanks,

Matthew Berry
ciscovoiceg...@gmail.com
http://ciscovoiceguru.com