I have not played with VPIM to Unity Connection (just recently dealt with it
in Exchange for the first time) but I can tell you what is going on here:

< MAIL FROM:<2...@unity>|
 554 5.1.8 Bad senders system address|

^ This is a somewhat basic SMTP failure.  The sender address is being
rejected because it doesn't like the right half of the @ symbol.  So either
you need to change what you're sending as (the domain portion) or you need
to allow that domain portion at the receiving end.  Without working with
VPIM and UC at all I can't exactly tell you where to do any of this, but
whats happening here is the sender is being rejected obviously.

Until you resolve that and get a messed queued response you're not
completing the SMTP portion of VPIM.   To answer question number 3, this
needs to be a RFC compliant email domain, so yes, something like
foo.comshould be your sending domain, as well as your recipient
domain.  Each end
needs to be a different domain or subdomain.   Probably best to read the
SRND on this for a definitive answer.

-jeff