what do you get on the phone when you try to click on background images
selection?

did you enable http server on your router?

also, folder path is very important as for the phone types you are using.
i recommend to use this document for that as it lists formats/folders for
different phone types (and that is still valid for CME as well)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_configuration_example09186a0080b3690c.shtml