thank you all for your comments

I've been debugging the gateway

i have digit manipulation on the rp, rl. I also have a called pattern
transformation css applied to the h323 gateway
i've reset the GW multiple times

however when i make the call

this is what i see

                 Exclusive, Channel 1
        Display i = 'HQ Phone 2'
        Calling Party Number
HQ-RTR(config-gk)# i = 0x0081, '12123945002'
                Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown
        Called Party Number i = 0x80, '16178632683'
                Plan:Unknown, Type:Unknown

My calling party transformation CSS is being hit by the GW

10/17/2010 16:01:47.979 CCM|SPROC  DATransformMatch - matchNumber
[5002]transformCSSPkid [c85a253f-f88d-7fbb-50b0-ff8aaacde5c3]
transformationCss
[gw-hq-pt] patternUsage [15] paternNodeID
[b071ad82-eaf4-c3c5-09df-6acba1ad0832] OutpulsedNum.nd [+12123945002] tn
 [2] pi [1] npi
[0]|<CLID::StandAloneCluster><NID::10.10.210.11><LVL::Arbitrary><MASK::0800>

however i didn't see the called party transformation pattern being hit

and i can't get the call type to work properly nor the + dialing

without Dialing Rules

with dialing rules works great
however i was wondering if it could be done from CUCM