because you added the command  mls qos trust device cisco-phone the
switch will know via CDP that you are connecting Cisco Phone other
wise the default behavior (*after enable the mls qos on the switch)
will be applied of not trust ,

i would say that 99% you will be trusting the COS on the switch port
connected to the phones and the DSCP of the port connected to the
servers .

Ash