I cannot make calls to listed contacts, from the CUPC in softphone mode
(contacts added through the CUPC user pages)
Dialing from the keypad however is not a problem (so I can make calls
manually from the CUPC in softphone mode).

Few hours later now with no solution so does anyone have an idea?

In CUPC the phone button  and VM  (enveloppe) are greyed out.
The server health shows all is ok/green (apart for secure messaging and
ldap - which is indeed not configured).

Config for user YYY:

1) CUPC phone added on UCM, owner ID = YYY (per deployment guide, not sure
why this is)
2) CUPC line is shared with deskphone
3) line appearance of CUPC phone is not associated with user YYY (only
the line appearance of the deskphone is associated with user YYY)  --> so
for user YYY only presence state of the line on his deskphone is
communicated
4) user YYY only associated with deskphone (not with CUPC, as deskphone/CTI
control is not intended for the CUPC)

When looking on the CUPS > user management for user YYY:
1) I do not see the Phone/Manager fields filled in (they are in UCM)
2) I see 2 devices for that user: the 7962 phone, and the CUPC. The CUPC
capabilites show only : 'supports instant messaging' - and no lines (no
idea why the CUPC is listed anyway - as that user is not associated with
the CUPC device on UCM)

I tried all kinds of configuration variartions - the above is what
according to me it should be just to get the softphone working.

Any advise/guidance is welcome !

cheers,
Juan