Congratulations, Jason.
DQ

From: Jason Murray <murr...@usa.com<mailto:murr...@usa.com>>
Date: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:13 AM
To: Online Study
<ccie_voice@onlinestudylist.com<mailto:ccie_voice@onlinestudylist.com>>
Subject: [OSL | CCIE_Voice] CCIE Passed!

Hello everyone just wanted to send a note out that I have passed my CCIE last
week #36408!! First and foremost I want to thank God for the ability to retain
as much information as I had to take in. Definitely a lot of prayers were
answered last week. Next I have to thank my family for sure for putting up with
me for the last year (esp these last 4 months of not having my full attention
almost daily). They have sacrificed with me.  It will be nice not getting up
pretty much every morning including Saturdays and turning on my home lab. Will
enjoy some peace and quiet of not having the hum of servers and routers running
in my office. I wanted to say thanks to Vik and the ipexpert crew.  I used
their BLS product for about a year now.  I had my own equipment so it was easy
for me to turn it on almost everyday and run through the walkthroughs and
everything until I had it down.  Then a month out I went to the One Week Lab
Experience which I think put it all together and finalized my studies.  I would
like to have said I passed my first time, as I did come very close I didn't but
the next 30 days I worked with Vik to help understand where I was needing
improvements and the next time I went in I passed. Vik went above and beyond in
helping me understand it.  He truly loves what he does and enjoys helping
people.  If he didn't he would have put up with all my emails.  I know he's
especially glad I passed so he doesn't have to be bothered by me anymore lol
:). Also I did use another product some (Cisco 360) which helped to see the
grading process using their graded assessments.  But as far as actual study
material I used ipexpert exclusively.

So to help those out on this same journey as I was I thought I would put my
strategy out there so it may help someone else.

My strategy was using the device based approach (search google and you will
find a nice video on this) where I made a table and read through the entire
guide and put each question under the device it corresponded to.   Once that
was complete I started with SiteC and did that router config along with CUE.
Then moved to SB, complete, then check CUE and finish.  Then to SA RTR finish
that, check CUE if needed.  Then finish the 3750 config.   On the routers if I
happened to be doing QOS or RSVP or something I would configure on the router I
was on and then I would hop over to the router it was going to and finish that
particular config on it.  Then come back and finish up on the router I was on.
Oh and the first time I hit the NTP config I would hop over to CUCM and
configure it and then ssh into it and run a utils dbreplication repair all
since NTP does have a tendency to mess up replication on CUCM.  One thing on
the routers as well is I skipped over SRST to hit that up later.

Once all the routers and switch was complete I started with CUCM.  Created RGs,
CSSs, AAR (if needed), MRGLs then moved to the System menu and walked down that
menu, Server IPs, Server group, Date/Time, Region, Location, DHCP, SRST,
Enterprise Parameters, Service Parameters, then created the Device pools.  Once
that was complete I auto registered my phones.  Then once they were configured
I would start going through all the questions with CUCM and knock those out.
In practice and the exam I skip over anything that has to with call routing and
making calls till after lunch.  Before then I would just keep continuing on and
if I was done with CUCM and still hadn't taken lunch I would move on to CUC,
then Presence, then CCX once I went to lunch I'd come back and finish up
whatever I was doing and then hit call routing.  Vik has an excellent strategy
which I learned in the OWLE that I used in practice and on the lab.  Once call
routing was done I'd go back and hit whatever I didn't do.  Once all the
applications where complete then I went back and configured everything I needed
on the routers that had SRST.  Did my testing and everything there while in
SRST once I came back out from SRST I never came back to it because it was
already configured and tested.

As you notice through that in the device base approach I did no testing until I
got to SRST.  So you need to be really good at your technologies and know what
you are doing just not memorizing stuff.  That's where the Vol1 and Vol2
practice came in from the BLS.  I had this down and in the last three months
before my exam I practiced this strategy with each of those labs as well as the
labs from OWLE once I went there.  Anyway once all the config was complete I
then went back with the first question and completely tested everything (except
srst since it was already tested)  Fix what you need and move on.  For me with
this strategy I had like three hours to test so I went through the question
with a fine tooth comb and if there was any doubt I asked the proctor.  For me
even though I was done and I a real good feeling I had passed I continued to
sit in my chair and read through the lab guide just to make sure I didn't miss
anything until the proctor called time.

So that is that strategy I used in the lab and what I had practiced for 3
months prior to taking the lab.  Figure out where you are taking it and time
yourself. Know when the lunch is so you can stop yourself, when practicing, at
that same time and take a break. Pretend like its the real lab every time you
practice until you have your strategy down. Just because you know how to
configure something in this lab time is the key so you need to know how to
configure it, when to configure, and how to do it quickly.

So I thought I would share what I did to prepare which has been over a year of
preparation with almost everyday doing something to do with the lab.  Whether
that be actual labbing or just reading an SRND or searching the web, looking at
debugs, trace files etc.  I knew walking in that second time I was gonna pass
that thing because I had already passed it before going in from all the
preparation. And I had it in my minds eye that it was already done and passed.
Good luck everyone, it definitely is a good feeling to have that done and
complete and have my free time back.

Jason