I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that has sent me best wishes and
congratulations.  I had a few that asked me to share my story and approach , so
since i'm on a 8.5 hour flight I figured now was as good a time as any.

November 2011: Passed CCIE written.

I spent the remainder of November researching vendors for IE training and
allocating materials to complete my at home lab.  Thank you IPexpert and EBAY.
I began the Audio and Video on demand series of the product in December and
finished it in about 3 weeks.  After that i began to go through the Volume 1
labs.  My study time consisted of 2.5 - 3.5 hours each night, M-F and then 10
to 12 hrs a day on Saturday and Sunday.  And YES this is the actual amount of
time that i studied.  I gave up TV, and fishing....ahhh i can go fishing again,
for the entirety while i studied.  I went on like this through Volume 1 labs
and then i went onto the most recent 5 labs.  I knew that these were the most
recent so i started with the 5 labs and then went back to the Volume 2 labs.
In the beginning rounds of the 5 labs and Volume 2 labs i would go through a
lab from M-F and then again on Saturday and Sunday.  This would allow me to do
a full lab 3 times per week.  By the time Sunday finished
 i would have a pretty good understanding of the topics that i had completed in
that lab that week.  However, in the beginning months I still couldn't finish
the labs in 8 hours even on the Sunday attempts.  I would also like to state
that I would go through the Video on demand lab explanation and the written
versions from the very beginning of the week.  I saved a lot of time by giving
into the fact, that i was no where near an expert and it was time for me to
learn not test.  Thus i used all the assets that i could to make sure i knew
and understood a topic before i attempted them.  I continued my studies like
this until I had been through all but about 3 or 4 labs a couple times each.
This was about the June time frame, so i went ahead and booked my two , week
long bootcamps at SJC.  I went to SJC for the classes in July of this year.
After returning home from the classes, I had two weeks to really put what i had
learnt to the grindstone and make sure i knew the tech. fla
 t out.  By this time i could complete the IPexpert labs in about 5 to 6 hours.
 I would take lunch breaks and small breaks from time to time but i really
focused on strategy more than anything.  My strategy for the most part
consisted of : Gateways to include everything but srst and some mgcp
registrations.  That would be followed by CUCM configuration, i worked from the
menu on the left and tried to hit everything that i could on my way through the
menus on the right.  I must say here that, this is something that you can
really sharpen in the OWLE, Vik has what I believe the best approach to the
Lab.  It worked for me anyhow.  Haven already auto registered my phones , and
my complete device pools, i would then go through and setup all of the phones
to their final config or as final as possible anyhow.  I think that it really
saves a lot of time to go through and touch these phone configs pages as little
as possible.  And of course you get to this ability with hours and hour
 s of practice. Following that i did my QOS configs for WAN and Campus.  From
here it kinda seemed like a seat of the pants kind of a feeling.  Some tasks
required others to be in place first.  So every lab differed in the tasks
completed from that point.  So finally lab day... Beginning of August.

I arrived at 6:30 am having slept very little the night before, my nerves
really got the best of me.  At 7 am the proctor brought us in and gave us the
run down.. "here's the bathroom, here's the food, run this way in case of fire,
on your mark get set go!"  So i sat down and began to go through  my normal
paces.  Very shortly in i realized that i was very nervous and was watching the
clock as if it were getting ready to helicopter off the wall.  But i buckled
down and tried to stick to my guns as best as possible.  After lunch I had an
inclination that i would be best served to slow down and take in as much as
possible for my next go round.  So i tried my best to complete what i could and
not introduce any more troubleshooting requirements than were already there.
After the day was done, i left licking my wounds with a few tasks having never
even been touched.  Ok time to go home and regroup.  I tried to remember as
much as i could on the way home and then i proceeded to la
 b those items i had issues with while they were fresh on my mind.  I then took
a two week break and didn't even look at the Cisco website.  Upon returning to
my lab after two weeks i found that i was very rusty, but it turned out to be a
good thing.  I had forgotten some of my bad habits and had to re-look at some
tasks to make sure I was configuring them correctly.  This allowed me to learn
even more and hone in my techniques even finer.  I would study a few days a
week up to my second lab attempt, but not for more than about 10 to 12 hours a
week. However in the final week I practiced about 2 , 8 hour mock labs, just to
make sure i was still in my targeted time frames.  The last two days before the
test i did nothing.  In between each lab attempt i took about a 6 week period.
The night before the test i took my wife out to a local Brazilian steak house i
had found the previous time and then cut back to the hotel for an early nights
rest.  Fat chance of that happening. I t
 ossed and turned for a good part of the night... "am i truly ready, what if i
run out of time again, should i have waited longer, etc..." .  but i finally
put those thoughts to rest and slept for a good little while.  The following
morning I awoke with the realization that I would either pass this time or i
wouldn't , greater people than I had taken many more attempts to pass, why was
I any better?  So i went in this time with a renewed spirit.  I was very at
ease and did not let my self get too worked up.  So there i sat at 7 am in RTP
with the rest of the folks, waiting on the proctor. Everyone was focused and
nervous.  So I did what i thought would help and started talking to everyone.
Where are you from, what test are you taking etc... and so on.  In all
actuality i was trying to lighten the mood for everyone in the room including
my self.  It's hard to be too nervous when you have my Alabama accent talking
about technology.   So then in walked the proctor... "here's th
 e bathroom, here's the food, run that way if there's a fire, ready set go!"
So i sat down at my station opened a terminal window and ABSOLUTELY FROZE
UP!!!!  Oh crap, why am i not typing??  Type something Justin, anything....
Then I said a prayer, I gave in to let go and let God, had a moment and began
to go to work.  I knew that being at ease would be the difference for me this
time so i refused to look at the clock at all.  I was moving along pretty good
and felt pretty good about my chances this time.  I would get to a new task and
silently go "yes, i know this one...i think".  It's probably best to be
respectful of the test at all times or she'll catch you when your not paying
attention and "pants" you in front of all your buddies.  I'm just saying...  So
lunch came , we all sat down, gave out some jokes, talked about traveling, and
then went back to work again.  This time I actually finished about 1.5 hours
before time was up.  I then went back and tried to fail all o
 f my questions that I had completed.  I tried to pick apart everything I had
completed as if I truly wanted to mark the question wrong.  This helped
tremendously, i found several small mistakes that would have meant a big fat
"goose egg" for that question.  I left that day with a smile on my face.  I
knew it was in God's hands, but I knew i had given everything i could to that
keyboard at that station.  So completely spent for the day i laid down with
hopes of a good nights rest....WRONG!!!  I tossed and turned.  So i checked my
email every 5 minutes until my wife threatened to throw my IPAD out the window.
 I slept some but finally just got up at about 5 am and watched a little TV.
So as i'm sure you don't want to keep hearing my complete life story... I
received an email the next morning from Cisco...please click here for your
results.  I clicked and i conquered!!!!!!!!  So that's it.  I spent the rest of
that day telling everyone that i knew about my accomplishment , I n
 ever could find one of those planes that writes stuff in the sky, but i think
i got just about everyone else covered.

P.S.  I slept like a baby that night!!

Thanks,

Justin McIntyre
CCIE Voice #36706

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended
for the sole use of the individual to whom they are addressed. Black Box
Corporation reserves the right to scan all e-mail traffic for restricted
content and to monitor all e-mail in general. If you are not the intended
recipient or you have received this email in error, any use, dissemination or
forwarding of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this email.