Hi Guys,

I also had the fortune of passing last week (in Brussels on Monday),
following Justin's lead I thought I'd share some notes on my study
experience with you.  I've split it into two pieces, the first (below)
talks about my study experience and how it changed over time.  The second
(to follow in a minute) talks about the approach I used in the lab , which
may or may not be insane but worked for me.

Many many thanks to everyone for their help and advice over the last many
months.

Regards

Kevin CCIE #36651

*How I Studied*

It took me three attempts to pass the CCIE, and after each of my failed
attempts I made a number of adjustments to my approach.  This was all
personal study, I did not take any classes, but I did get some great
support from my employer paying for materials, rack rentals, exam fees,
allowing me some study leave and being very encouraging and supportive
throughout.

*Attempt One (March)*

For attempt one I used the Cisco 360 materials.  Of these the lab workbooks
were very good and the online racks were the best I’ve seen in terms of
setup (mainly because they’re the only ones I’ve seen with a remote phone
control solution that actually works even remotely well).  The other
materials, a ‘library’ which seemed to consist of docs mostly available for
free elsewhere and some videos which were ‘presented’ by a synthesized
voice, were very poor.  However there were only racks available for the
last 10 of the 25 labs (the first 15 being technology labs like IPexpert WB
1) and it didn’t seem possible to purchase additional rentals.  There were
also 5 assessed labs – I really liked the idea of these and they did help,
although they were graded by a script that sometimes went wrong.  In
fairness their support was good and they did give me extra sessions when
things went wrong.

My biggest criticism of the 360 stuff only came after my first attempt.  I
arrived in the exam room to find the exam looked nothing like the 360 labs.
So where the 360 stuff had  tables the exam had prose.  The technology
demands of the lab were very different from that of the 360 labs and there
were quite a few things missing.  Having been practicing with one set of
workbooks I’d also become accustomed to a particular naming standard and IP
schema as was surprised how much this threw me.  I also suffered from the
unfamiliar US keyboard layout and spent a considerable period of time
correcting typing errors.  Needless to say I ran out of time and failed.

I took time at the end of the exam, having realized I failed, to reread the
paper, and took good notes after leaving the room to ensure I would learn
all the things that threw me.

*Attempt Two (June)*

After attempt one I purchased the IPExpert WB2 and 5-lab workbook and
worked through them.  I was struck by how much closer to the real thing
they were, especially the 5 lab book.  I also purchased two US keyboards
(one for work one for home).

I didn’t get on with the Proctorlabs remote phone control, so bought an 877
router, an old switch and a few phones (7960) – I also managed to borrow 4
7965 phones.  I found this worked well for me and kept this hardware setup
frpom this point in.

 I also collected together a list of things that I felt I needed to know
from memory, such as various URLs, page numbers in the SRNDs etc. and
committed these to memory.

 I went through two workbooks just once – although I read and took notes on
each scenario a couple of times to practice understanding and interpreting
the questions.  In the end I was completing the 5-lab scenarios in a little
over 6 hours.  I felt confident, I’d have perhaps liked a little longer to
prepare but had booked a date months in advance to make sure I committed.

This attempt went much better, and I felt I knew the technology much better.
However I still ran out of time and did not finish the exam.  I was left
with the distinct impression that whilst the 5-lab workbook is a good
reflection of the exam the scenarios are much shorter than the real thing .

*Attempt Three (September)*

This time I decided that I knew the technology sufficiently well, and that
the main problem was speed.  I decided to practice only the 5 lab
workbooks, but went through and added several questions to each.  These
were a mix of questions from WB2 and questions based on my memories of my
two failed attempts (no excuse for getting the same thing wrong twice!).

I adopted several strategies to improve my speed, including

   - ·         Used an online typing tutor (http://www.sense-lang.org/) to
   improve my typing speed and familiarity with US keyboard
   - ·         Added to my list of ‘things to memorise’ and loaded these
   into a flashcard program (Anki http://ankisrs.net/) which I also loaded
   onto my smartphone (AnkiDroid)
   - ·         Created a number of ‘recipes’ for common configurations
   (Router Qos, T1/E1, MGCP/H.323, media devices, CME, SRST etc.) and tuned
   these to contain the abbreviated version sof commands (e.g. ‘mg ca 10.1.1.1
   s m v 0’ instead of ‘mgcp call-agent 10.1.1.1 service mgcp version 0.1’).
   I also loaded these into Anki and practiced by typing into notepad.
   - ·         Used remembered IP addressing from the Lab in my flash
   cards, rather than the IPExpert practice lab addressing
   - ·         Use the shortest possible names for everything in CUCM e.g.
   ‘A’ rather than ‘Site-A-Phones-CSS’
   - ·         Use the shortest possible media device names (6 characters)
   ‘aaaxcd’,’bbbcfb’ etc. The repeated letter is just laziness and easier to
   type!
   - ·         Type into notepad then cut and paste into IOS – especially
   where anything is remotely reusable.

I decided this time not to book the lab until I could get my times down to
sub 5 hours.   When I achieved this I booked the lab for a Monday, and took
the Friday off work too.  I did two labs each day on Friday/Saturday – the
last of these I completed in under 4 hours even with my extra questions.  On
Sunday I travelled to Brussels and used time on the train to cram from my
two flashcard decks.  Once I got to the hotel I chilled out with a couple
of beers!

On the day everything went to plan, I fell into a couple of traps that
probably cost me an hour and finished with an hour to recheck – I
re-checked everything except SRST – mainly because there were only a few
minutes left and I didn’t want to risk leaving anything not registered.  This
confirmed my suspicion that the real lab was longer than the workbooks!  I
left feeling that I had nailed it, although kept that opinion to myself
until I got the result through!