For those who don't have access to Cisco's Bug Toolkit, this was the
proposed solution:

------------------------------8<------------------------------
CSCti46834 Bug Details

NTP sync problem with satellite link
Symptom:

A router may take as long as 15 minutes to synchronize its clock to an
NTP server.

Conditions:

This is a known design problem with NTPv4, which was introduced in IOS
12.4(20)T.

Workaround:

Configure the "iburst" and "burst" options, for example:

ntp server 10.0.47.1 burst iburst

with this configured, NTP should synchronize in under 2 minutes.

With the resolution of this bug CSCti46834, a new CLI is introduced:

ntp maxdistance

By increasing the maxdistance value from its default of 1, for example
to 2 or 3, synchronization may be further expedited.

--
Marko Milivojevic - CCIE #18427 (SP R&S)
Senior CCIE Instructor - IPexpert