In regards to Q1, you are accurate in that:

- When the GW fails over to the backup call agent, it will send a RSIP  (not
shown in your trace, perhaps not pertinent to your question)

- The call agent will send AUEP messages to the MGCP GW for each endpoint

- The MGCP GW responds to AUEP with a 200 OK with the local call identifier
(I:) and if I: is blank, there is no call on that particular endpoint

- For each AUEP response that had a non-blank I: value, the call agent will
send a AUCX message requesting the global call ID and connection mode

- The MGCP GW responds accordingly with a 200 message and the appropriate C:
and M: values

- At this point, the backhaul connection is taking care of sending/receiving a
status enquiry and appropriate response from the PSTN

In regards to Q2, if you are seeing that call preservation fails on your MGCP
device then you will want to check your configuration. Specifically, ensure
that you have "no mgcp timer receive-rtcp" configured.

--
William Bell, CCIE #38914
blog: http://ucguerrilla.com