From: ccie_voice-boun...@onlinestudylist.com
[mailto:ccie_voice-boun...@onlinestudylist.com] On Behalf Of Daniel Pagan
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:57 PM
To: Ovidiu Popa; ccie_voice@onlinestudylist.com
Subject: Re: [OSL | CCIE_Voice] AAR and SNR

Confirmed - this appears to be standard behavior. Recreating this in the lab
and reviewing CCM SDI traces (I'm on a 8.6 cluster) reveals a pretty logical
explanation for this. First, I should mention the LineControl process is
responsible for dispatching/distributing call attempts to devices associated
with a Directory Number matched during the DA process. With that said, here's
what I've done and what I see...

Scenario - Mobility is configured for PhoneB and tested to work successfully...

1.       PhoneA calls PhoneB - I've set the location bandwidth below the
bitrate being negotiated to enforce AAR

2.       LineControl lists all devices associated with this dialed Directory
Number

a.        Included in this list is the device name of PhoneB and the device
name of its Remote Destination Profile

3.       For PhoneB (my desk phone) Location Bandwidth Manager shows that more
bandwidth is being requested than it can subtract

a.        We cancel the call attempt to PhoneB

4.       Because the Remote Destination Profile was detected as an associated
device on the dialed Directory Number, we begin routing the call to the Remote
Destination, DA process is successful, and the call is extended to the Remote
Destination. This results in no AAR attempts because CUCM still has the ability
to route the call to an associated device. This is key.

In a scenario where Mobility is disabled, we see AAR being invoked because...

1.       LineControl lists all devices associated with this dialed Directory
Number... only this time the only device listed is our desk phone. The
RDestProfile is not listed.

2.       Location BW Mgr shows we're out of available bandwidth

3.       At this point, low bandwidth was detected, we have no available
devices to route through LineControl, so we begin using AAR as the last resort.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Pagan | CCIE-V #25689
Managed Services Technical & Training Lead

+1-212-616-7843 office
+1-212-616-7850 fax
www.fidelus.com<http://www.fidelus.com/>