A few comments inline below in RED...

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 11:00 AM, virajith <vir...@rediffmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> After taking out and reapplying the config it appears that the HQ to SC
> issue for calls work.  The calls between SB , HQ , SC also work.
>
> However when inbound calls come from pstn to the H323 gateway leading to
> the PSTN  I notice that it gives a fast busy. Upon removing QOS the calls
> work fine.

     Justin: look at the response below for question 3 on LAN QoS...if I
come up with something in particular I'll let you know.  Take a close look
at your singling path between the gateway/CUCM and the phone/CUCM in the
example as both are crossing the WAN (unless this is your HQ site), while
the media gateway/phone should be local (unless somehow you are using an
MTP at a different site?).  One-way cRTP over WAN will cause issues, but
this *should* only apply to calling over WAN and not to a gateway talking
to a local phone (ie, not crossing wan - unless you have a home lab where
using HQ switch to power SB/SC phones across WAN).

> Questions:
> =================
>
> 1) Would  you recommend applying wan qos manually? is it the same
> procedure ? Also how is it different from the auto qos option?

      Justin: I always use auto qos when the question asks for MLP.  It can
be done manually but there are a lot of commands to build the
virtual-template and I cannot do these faster than auto qos.  For FRTS I
sometimes use auto qos and sometimes don't (use SRDN) to be familiar with
both.  If the question asks for "class based" then I just use the SRND
reference config and do it manually.

> 2) What would be a safe approach to take ?

     Justin: To avoid issues I save the running config just before and just
after auto qos, then use "show archive config diff flash:before
flash:after" to see what auto qos actually did.  (I do this on the switch
too.)  After auto qos I edit as needed, and if it doesn't work after a few
minutes of troubleshooting I reload the router and revert to the "before"
config.  After it comes back up you can either retry auto qos (faster if it
works, but if it doesn't you'll lose more time to reload again) or apply it
manually (because you already have the cli from the first time and your
tweaks).

> 3) My LAN QOS has not been setup on the switch ?  Do you think that this
> could cause an issue on the WAN?

     Justin: I don't think the lack of LAN QoS would affect much on the
WAN, although without reviewing a specific scenario I don't want to suggest
its not possible under a unique circumstance (I can't think of one at the
moment).  However, you need to consider the end-to-end QoS from
phones/servers/gateways marking traffic and the switch and/or router
re-marking/shaping/policing.  For example, if your WAN QoS polices
signaling at CS3 to 5% there are differences between the "trusted" and
"untrusted" versions of auto-qos.  The untrusted methods will build
ACL/NBAR to mark your traffic, but the trusted method relies on a correct
marking already.  Phones and servers should mark signaling CS3, but this
old version of IOS uses AF31.  You will need to set
your generated singling to CS3 for mgcp (mgcp ip qos dscp cs3 sig),
dial-peers (under dial-peer voip: ip qos dscp cs3 sig), and sccp (sccp
ip precedence 3).  Router generated media usually defaults to EF.