When solving structures that are the same crystal form as a parent, what's the best way of getting or moving the solution to the same position as the parent? This is for cases where a typical rigid body refinement isn't sufficient to pull out the solution.

It is not very convenient to look at the parent and the solution and then fix the solution using pdbset symgen, at least for dozens or hundreds of structures.

I've tried using beast to do the MR in a small box around the parent solution, and it works, but takes a long time even for a 'small' search area (e.g. 10 degrees and 2 Angstroms).

Its possible that doing the rigid body refinement w/ lower res data could pull in solutions that are further off, but I doubt it would be very robust..

It also seems possible to use contact or a similar program to find which symmetry molecule of the solution 'clashes' with the parent solution. I'm toying with this, but haven't gotten it to work yet.

Short of custom modification of the MR program, is there something available that I'm missing?

Shane Atwell