For PDB and publications you should state statistics for the data that you actually used for structure determination. Clear and simple.

Deciding what data to use and what data to cut is less clear and this has been discussed on this list before and is currently also a topic of discussion at Acta Cryst. Basically you keep all data from the lowest resolution to wherever you feel there is still real information that contributes to the quality of the map & model. Some have argued to cut at a resolution where I/SigI drops below two, others use 1.5 and yet others think I/SigI can be manipulated so much by changing the error model that it is not a clearcut situation. What you definately don't want to do is to reject weak data within your selected resolution range. Weak data may not contribute much to maps but they are perfectly fine observations otherwise.

Bart

Florian Schmitzberger wrote:
Dear All,

I would have a question about reporting diffraction data quality indicators (for pdb-submission and publication) for data processed with XDS/XSCALE. XSCALE(.LP) lists data quality indicators such as completeness, mean <I>/sigma<I>, R-meas etc. for several signal/noise cutoffs descending to negative values for the latter (up to -3.0).

I was wondering whether it makes more sense to report data quality for data with a signal/noise > 0 (or indeed 1) rather than report the data quality for (all) data with a signal/noise >-3.0.

Whereas I imagine for error estimates and standard deviation calculations (in ML-based refinement) including the quality of the negative intensity reflections (signal/noise >-3.0) is still meaningful to know, these reflections probably did not contribute significantly to the diffraction, calculation of the electron density, and the final model. I am asking this since I observe the following difference (I suppose because of the altered sd estimates) between the tables for the 0.0 (Rmeas=94% (flame on, I am aware) and I/sigmaI= 1.83) and -3.0 (and Rmeas=106.4%, I/sigmaI= 1.51) signal/noise cutoff. I am aware this question is of a rather cosmetic nature and the data will of course be the same (but reporting may have slightly different effects on referees, I could imagine).

Thank you very much in advance for any comments!

Regards,

Florian
Florian Schmitzberger
Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
Karolinska Institute
Scheeles vaeg 2
SE-171 77 Stockholm, Sweden
Tel: +46-8-524-86875

Bart Hazes (Assistant Professor)
Dept. of Medical Microbiology & Immunology
University of Alberta
1-15 Medical Sciences Building
Edmonton, Alberta
Canada, T6G 2H7