Message posted on behalf of Ian Tickle

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Tickle
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 4:22 PM
To: 'ccp4bb@dl.ac.uk'
Subject: [ccp4bb]: Negative density arround Selenium

There are several possible explanations of negative difference density
at 'heavy' atom positions (e.g. partial incorporation/occupancy,
radiation damage, over-tight B-factor restraints, lack of f' correction,
errors in FFT approximation of density etc.), however I don't think
series termination error is one of them.  The reason is that the
summations of both Fobs & Fcalc will suffer from the same series
termination error and will effectively cancl in the wFo-DFc map.
Looked at another way, series termination _does_ explain why the Se peak
height in a Fobs map is always less than you would expect from a
calculation of the theoretical electron density of a Se atom (e.g. using
an infinite Fourier integral of the scattering factor curve), but it
doesn't explain why it should be less than the calculated electron
density from a series truncated at the same resolution.

Of course theory has been proved wrong before and someone may well come
up with some results showing that when atomic resolution data is used
the effect disappears, assuming all else is unchanged, i.e. you haven't
also corrected for occupancy, B-factor, f' etc.  Has anyone actually
done this?

-- Ian

Disclaimer

This communication is confidential and may contain privileged information
intended solely for the named addressee(s). It may not be used or disclosed
except for the purpose for which it has been sent. If you are not the intended
recipient you must not review, use, disclose, copy, distribute or take any
action in reliance upon it. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify Astex Therapeutics Ltd by emailing [EMAIL PROTECTED] and destroy
all copies of the message and any attached documents.

Astex Therapeutics Ltd monitors, controls and protects all its messaging
traffic in compliance with its corporate email policy. The Company accepts no
liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and
attachments having left the Astex Therapeutics domain.  Unless expressly
stated, opinions in this message are those of the individual sender and not of
Astex Therapeutics Ltd. The recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of computer viruses. Astex Therapeutics Ltd
accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
E-mail is susceptible to data corruption, interception, unauthorized amendment,
and tampering, Astex Therapeutics Ltd only send and receive e-mails on the
basis that the Company is not liable for any such alteration or any
consequences thereof.