You can also just try restarting the OSX machine. This will clear all processes, and reset the system. On occasion, processes may not exit properly and build up in the system until the limit is hit. I ran into this once (a PowerBook I hadn't restarted in many months) and a restart fixed the problem.

If the problem continues, you can increase the limit like Brian suggested.

Cheers,

Jeff