Hi Mike,

Several automated model building routines have the capability of building missing parts and rebuilding bad parts (might be a good idea ... )

These are your some of options (in alphabetical(?) order)

1. ARP/wARP. If your density is clear enough, I would not be surprised
   if ARP/wARP will build it for you, and possibly correct 'bad' parts
   elsewhere. Check out the website (http://www.arp-warp.org) as well as
   this paper in ARP/wARP and molecular replacement:
   http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/paper?S0907444901014007

2. (The) AutoBuild wizard in Phenix (which uses resolve) allows to
   'rebuild in place' or build from scratch and fill in gaps. You might
   be able to only build missing loops if desired, but not sure how. I
   suggest taking this issue up on the phenixbb.
   (http://www.phenix-online.org)

3. Lafire. Never used it, heard good things about it though (especially
   now non japanese versions are available;
   http://altair.sci.hokudai.ac.jp/g6/Research/Lafire_English.html)

HTH

Peter

Kendall Nettles wrote:
Mike,
After adding a residue or a few residues to your loop with “add terminal residue”, you can use the “Zone” tools to refine, regularize geometry, and rotate/translate the residues to better fit the density. The Coot manual explains these features. However, experience with model building can make a big difference. Try to find an experienced crystallographer who can show you how to build in the missing residues.

Kendall