From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Patrick Loll
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 1:32 PM
To: ccp4bb@dl.ac.uk
Subject: [ccp4bb]: reducing crystal imperfections

We have a system where we can produce rod-shaped crystals that show a
classic depletion imperfection--the rods are essentially hollow for
most of their length, suggesting that growth is proceeding in this
direction more rapidly than fresh protein can diffuse into the area
(picture a long hexagonal rod with a perfect conical hole bored into
one end, extending for most of the rod's length).

Simple-minded optimization experiments (e.g., [PEG] vs. [salt] vs. pH)
have clear-cut effects on nucleation, but don't seem to alter crystal
shape, which I interpret as meaning that growth occurs rapidly once
nucleation has taken place.

What are peoples' thoughts on improving the morphology?  We're
currently exploring whether additives can selectively poison growth
along the long axis, but I'd be curious to hear other ideas.  For
example, might gels help, or are they mainly effective in controlling
nucleation?

They ARE pretty cool looking.  I wonder if there's a market for
nanovases...

Pat

---------------
Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.                                         (215)
762-7706
Associate Professor                                     FAX: (215)
762-4452
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497