What of other structures such as the mechanosensitive MscL channel, which
was also solved and refined using this multicopy method by Geoff Chang, and
has 5-fold crystallographic symmetry?

Refinement statistics
Single model
R factor (20-3.5 Å)     40%
Rfree (20-3.5 Å) (10%)     42%

Nine models
R factor (20-3.5 Å)     26%
Rfree (20-3.5 Å) (10%)     35%

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/282/5397/2220

On 12/29/06 2:55 PM, "Dean Madden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> While there may not have been obvious warning signs in the published
> data (or maps), two unfortunate aspects of the refinement may have
> obscured them.
>
> The first involves the selection of the test sets of reflections. All
> five retracted papers report the presence of non-crystallographic
> symmetry (e.g. 8-fold NCS in 1JSQ). All five PDB files report that the
> test sets were chosen randomly, meaning that test set reflections were
> potentially coupled (perhaps strongly) by NCS to reflections included in
> the working set. This can lead to artificially low Rfree values and thus
> mask more fundamental errors in a structure. A way to avoid biasing
> Rfree values is to choose the test set in thin resolution shells
> whenever NCS is present. Currently, this precaution is often ignored. It
> should become a de facto standard for publication of structures
> containing NCS.
>
> The second aspect concerns over-parametrization. In the retracted
> structures, the potential for cross-talk between the working and test
> sets was all the more serious because the authors chose to use multicopy
> refinement procedures, expanding the number of free parameters by as
> much as 16-fold (although harmonic constraints were also employed). In
> the retraction, Chang et al. themselves note that "Unfortunately, the
> use of the multicopy refinement procedure still allowed us to obtain
> reasonable refinement values for the wrong structures." While the
> reported values are not great, in the cases where the Rfree values
> obtained from single-copy refinement are described, they were clearly
> incompatible with a correct solution (Rfree > 40%).
>
> It has been argued that multicopy refinement captures genuine aspects of
> the data, based on the observed decline in Rfree (e.g. in the retracted
> JMB paper). However, given the fact that Rfree was probably coupled to
> Rwork by NCS, the drop in Rfree cannot be taken as validation of the
> multicopy approach. Instead, it probably reflected a significant level
> of overfitting, which "leaked through" to the Rfree. In hindsight, it is
> hard to see how twelve or sixteen incorrect structures could be
> genuinely better than one, and yet they yielded much more attractive
> statistics. Unless multicopy refinement can be rigorously justified, it
> should probably be avoided, particularly for low-resolution structures
> in which the ratio of observations to parameters is low even for a
> single-copy refinement.
>
> Without multicopy refinement, these structures probably never would have
> been published. And even with multicopy refinement, a more rigorous test
> set based on resolution shells might have been more resistant to
> overfitting.
>
> Dean
>

> PS My apologies if an earlier version of this message also arrives. It
> appears to have been tied up by the server for several days.

______

Clara L. Kielkopf, PhD
Rm. W8702 BSPH
Dept. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD 21205
Ph: 443-287-4546
Fax: 410-955-2926