Hi all,

I only wish to draw your attention to the fact that the Henderson-Hasselbach equation (as used in the paper you cite) is only valid if you use zwitterionic buffers. Otherwise, with other buffers, especially phosphate and multi-acids (e.g. succinate, citrate and so on), any calculation using the Henderson-Hasselbach equation must refer to activities and not concentrations. Given this, expect a phosphate buffer pH to increase by 0.3-0.4 units upon a 10-fold dilution (That is from 1.0M to 0.1M in the referenced paper).

Regards,

Pr. Nadir T. Mrabet
   Cellular & Molecular Biochemistry
   INSERM U-724
   UHP - Nancy 1, School of Medicine
   Avenue de la Foret de Haye, BP 184
   54505 Vandoeuvre-les-Nancy Cedex
   France
   Phone: +33 (0)3.83.68.32.73
   Fax:   +33 (0)3.83.68.32.79
   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Cell.: +33 (0)6.11.35.69.09

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by
anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or
copying of the contents of this E-mail, or any action taken (or not taken) in
reliance on it, is unauthorized and may be unlawful.
If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.

Jose M de Pereda wrote:
Hi Jenny (and others),

The buffer systems used in the PACT screen are described in the following paper by Janet Newman.

/Acta Cryst./ (2004). D*60*, 610-612 [ doi:10.1107/S0907444903029640 <http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0907444903029640> ]
Novel buffer systems for macromolecular crystallization
J. Newman <http://scripts.iucr.org/cgi-bin/citedin?search_on=name&author_name=Newman,%20J.>

I am not aware of any commercial source of these buffer systems. But the paper describes the recipes to make them, which is quite easy.

HTH

 Jose