Dear all,

Thanks for the almost 100 replies I have received. I appreciate every one of
them very much. Since some asked for a summary, here it is, albeit with more
questions. :-)

Assuming you buy your own computer and put your equipment in the cold room,

(1) AKTA (or whatever it is spelled) prime: ~$10K. Perfect for affinity columns
and prep-scale gel filtration columns, but due to the pressure limit it
struggles with 24-ml Superdex 200 and doesn't work on ion exchange columns. Be
sure to dismantle all pressure regulators in the symtem.

A more serious problem is that it cannot keep good track of the actual pumped
volume, thus the actual flow rate could be very different from the displayed
one  (my question is whether this is an inherent problem for a peristaltic pump
which is inevitable or just a calibration problem that can be easily fixed)

(2) AKTA FPLC: ~$30K. Everything is great except the cost. Software may be an
issue for a computer novice.

(3) Bio-rad DuoFlow: ~$20K. Works great. Warm-hearted reps. UV monitors break
down often, but can be easily fixed. Software may be an issue for a computer
expert.

The most serious problem is the huge sample dead volume caused by tubing
connections, which means you cannot work with diluted samples. (my question is
how bad this really is)

(4) Second-hand Pharmacia FPLC: ~$6K. Works great, if you haven't been spoiled
by AKTA.

That's all, folks! Happy FPLCing (or whatever origin of the word)!

Frank

The fish are biting.