Dear all,

Recently, I've gotten a 3.1A data set with a P1 space group. Based on a Mattchew
coefficient, I have 4 hetero-dimer molecules in one asymmetric unit. Because one
of the dimers was known already, I tried MR with a program Phaser and molrep
(Amore doesn't calculate a translation function with a P1 space group).  Phaser
gave
me a reasonable solution with Z-score closed to 20 and LL-gain over 900(molrep
didn't give me a good solution), and that solution has 4 molecules with quite
reasonable packing with local 2-fold symmetries. I also ran Phaser with
different wavelength ranges with different truncated forms, and always the
solutions were the same. However, when I calculated the map, the map was still
messy and I couldn't see a clear density of the other molecules. I also ran a
rigid body refinement and a restrained refinement with different programs
(refmac and cns), but the R factor didn't drop. I ran DM with ncs averaging and
solvent flattening, still the map wasn't improved. At this moment, we are still
sure that our data set has a P1 space group with good statistics and the
solution from phaser is quite reasonable.

Is it possible that P1 space group can be a problem during MR? Do you think the
solution from Phaser is just wrong or did I miss something?

Any suggestions will be helpful to me.

Thanks,

uhnsoo