I guess the point is to "know thy data", to avoid problems down the track: a statistical test for twinning forms one of a battery of tests which can be performed independently of a coordinate set (Matthews coefficient, self-RF, etc.), and with relative ease. Importantly, in the case of partial twinning, overlooking the twin relationship can lead to errors in the final model. As noted by Todd Yeates ("Protein Crystals and Their Evil Twins" Structure 7:R25-R29), there were "small but significant structural differences" between two bacteriorhodopsin structures refined with and without correction for twinning. I agree that it should certainly not be assumed that a dataset is twinned merely because it is possible, and the Rfactor and Rfree look a bit unfashionable - the presence of twinning must be corroborated by other evidence. Twin-related reflections should also be assigned to 'working' and 'test' datasets as pairs, to avoid bias in Rfree.