Hey Todd,
This is really easy to do with SPOCK. Like you said, you can put an atom
(say water) in your cavity and select residues within the distance of
choice from that atom. Then make a surface for these residues. Then swap
the surface and it will be the surface for the cavity. The program is
available on a trial license for one month, after which you have to buy
it.
Arti
> Hello All,
>
> I would like to make an illustration which has a semi-transparent surface
> rendering for a large cavity. I just want the suface to cover the cavity
> not the entire protein (which will most likely exist as a ribbon drawing).
> Is there a way to set a boundary for a surface drawing? By that, I mean
> pick a point within the cavity and set a radius to draw a solvent
> accessible surface and thusly only those points falling within the radius
> are shown. Seems simple enough, but I haven't quite figured it out as of
> yet.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advise.
> Todd

Arti S. Pandey