I'm pretty sure that the crystallographer was David Sayre. I also believe (not documented well enough for wikipedia, but perhaps for here) that IBM were so pleased with this performance that they made David an IBM Fellow, which meant that he could do anything he wanted for the rest of his life. Here's what he decided to do:

He's known in crystallography for the Sayre Equation, a fundamental relationship in direct methods. Also, maybe not so well known, he was a major driving force behind the method of visualizing single molecules or cells from diffraction patterns: J. Miao, H. N. Chapman, J. Kirz, D. Sayre and K. O. Hodgson, TTaking X-ray Diffraction to the Limit: Macromolecular Structures from Femtosecond X-ray Pulses and Diffraction Microscopy of Cells with Synchrotron Radiation, Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biomol. Struct. 33, 157-176 (2004).

He and I used to use adjacent darkrooms at the NSLS for developing x-ray films (the '80's). I'd meet him on the long walk, ask what he was doing, and smile sympathetically when he said he was going to image single yeast cells. Well, they're essentially doing it now. One never want's to underestimate David Sayre's ability to find phases.

When David retired from IBM and his adjunct appointment at SUNY Stony Brook one of his old buddies from the FORTRAN project spoke at the symposium. Perhaps it was Backus. They both said that the period of developing that language in a small team was one of the happiest times of their lives.

Don't take this as fact, but this is what I remember.

Bob