From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
bputcha
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 7:19 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] effect of high salt on protein

Hi all,
I keep my protein at 1 M NaCl, at some stage of purification, for about 30
minutes. Protein does not
precipitate out at that stage and susequently when the salt concentration is

reduced. I would like to know
if such a high salt concentration can perturb ( irreversibly) the structure
or
modify the protein. Are there
any known cases?
Thank you
Dhurjati

Dept. of Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology,
Walters Life Science, # 406,
University of Tennessee, TN, Knoxville, USA