Dear All,

I have 1.4 A data and a molecular replacement solution for a crystal
indexed as C2, with beta approximately equal to 90.  Refinement with
refmac is progressing poorly, and intensity statistics (Truncate) and
other twinning tests (xtriage) suggest pseudo-merohedral twinning with a
twin fraction around 0.44.  I want to try refining in SHELXL with a
twin-specific target function, but I have some questions about how to
get started.

SHELX documentation indicates that the reflection file should contain
intensities rather than amplitudes, and preferably unmerged data.  I
have been refining against an mtz file that was integrated with MOSFLM,
scaled and merged with SCALA, converted to amplitudes with TRUNCATE,
then had freeR flags assigned.  I am getting the mtz2various patch
recently mentioned on the bb, that will make an mtz file into a proper
SHELX hkl file, but which mtz file do I convert?  The mtz output by
TRUNCATE contains both F's and I's, so I could use that one to get
measured intensities, or do I actually need to go back further to get my
unmerged reflections?

A second question relates to Rfree flags - should I transfer the ones
I've been using up until now?  They were a randomly assigned 5%.  Now
I've read that using the "thin shell" method is better for twinned
crystals and NCS, but I don't know exactly how that is done... any
recommendations?

Thanks!
Evette

Evette S. Radisky, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Associate Consultant II
Mayo Clinic Cancer Center
Griffin Cancer Research Building, Rm 310
4500 San Pablo Road
Jacksonville, FL 32224
(904) 953-6372 (office)
(904) 953-2857 (lab)