Mike,

This is a complicated question :) The floppy bits can contribute to
packing in several non-obvious ways.

I may be able to help you get a better crystal form, if you're willing to
share the specifics of the protein (which will be kept confidential of
course). I've developed new procedures for rational protein crystal
engineering and now need more Guinea pigs to test them.

Artem