I think the filament from one of our x-ray generators must be a record
breaker.  Yesterday it clocked up its 6000th  hour or 250th day on the
job, not counting down / holiday time.

The intensity had only dropped by around 25 % of the value it was when I
put it in, eight-and-a-half months ago...

Really, this filament is like the horror-movie bad guy who just won't
die - it survived countless power drop-outs and  surges, the rough
treatment of everyone from undergraduates to postdocs, and still it kept
on and on...

So, I decided to give it a break, as it has already smashed the Guinness
world record for filament lifetimes (I checked) - I removed and replaced
this beauty today, even though it's still working.

I thought about framing it and keeping it on display in the generator
lab for future generations to marvel at, but I got greedy - It will be
up on eBay soon.  Discounts available for academic institutions, etc....

Have a nice weekend (it's my birthday!)

Cheers Rigaku!

Mark

_____________________________________