Many times when we search for anomalous scatterers, we have some a priori
info about their relative positions. For example, many proteins have
sequence-adjacent methionines, which tether the anomalous scattering
positions to certain distances. Again, there are many heavy atom derivatives
which have a known substructure, such as tungsten clusters, or even
undecagold clusters. It would seem to me that this kind of a priori info
might lend a powerful boost to heavy atom searches in noisy data.

One way I was thinking about to implement this would be to trick a molecular
replacement program into searching an anomalous Patterson map for the
requisite substructures, but I am not entirely sure about the best way to
implement this.

My questions are really two:

1. How much extra atom-finding power does one gain by telling the programs
the a priori structural information?

and

2. What would be the best way to implement this idea in the given software?

All the best,

Jacob Keller

Jacob Keller
Northwestern University