Well - the old way to estimate sigma was Sqrt(I**2 + constant_representing background) and then get
Sigma_F as ~ sqrt(SigI)/(2*F ) .
sftools would calculate that for you and append it to the output file..
Eleanor

Eleanor Peter Adrian Meyer wrote:
I add a fake "sigma" column for each "data" column because so many
programs require one.

This is slightly tangential, but does anyone know of a good way to
generate semi-realistic sigma values for calculated/simulated data?

The best I've been able to do is borrow from an experimental dataset of
the same protein (after scaling), but that doesn't work unless you've got
an experimental dataset corresponding to your simulated one.  I also tried
a least-squares fit (following a reference I don't have in front of
me...this was a while ago), which didn't result in a good fit for our
data.

Pete

Pete Meyer
Fu Lab