Adding the following commands to my xorg.conf file "fixed" my problem:

Section "Extensions"
      Option      "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

The screen now makes an attempt to run stereo: it will draw two sets of lines and the eDimensional glasses now work. But the flickering is unbearable to look at for any length of time even though the 3D effect is noticeable. It seems that there are several possible sources of this new problem:
1) asynchrony between the glasses and the monitor refresh rate [unlikely]
2) problems due to the way flat screens adjust (not all-at-once, as pointed out to me by another respondent) 3) simply too slow of a refresh rate. ( i can try to force maximum refresh rate)

I am going to tool around with numbers 1 and 3 to see if I can get a halfway decent stereo effect. If i get anything to work I will post again. In the meantime, I'll try to avoid the slightly nauseating effects of the flickering.

thank you for the many (and prompt!) responses to my problem,
best
zach cp
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Zach,

I think you need to add:

Section "Extensions"
       Option      "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

to your xorg.conf file. The driver cannot do stereo with the composite extensions enabled.

Steve

Zach Powers wrote:
Hello,

I have been having a problem getting stereo to work on the lab's new
flatsceeen ( i know, i know..... CRTs = much better but i think the
purchaser was overcome with flatscreen lust).
I am using a Dell 3007WFP (2560x 1600, refresh rate = 60hz) attached to
nVidia Quadro FX 4500 graphics card with the eDimensional stereo glasses. I
am using the current drivers from livna (100.14.09-2lvn7) on a Fedora7 box with the 2.6.21_1.3228 kernel.

When I try to get Pymol or Coot to use stereo, no luck: Coot tells me that
the hardware does not support quad buffered stereo. To the best of my
knowledge I have the xorg.conf file correctly configured (see below) and I
am wondering if anyone has run into these problems before or if somehow the
livna driver can detect a refresh rate that is suboptimal and therefore
refuse to start stereo. Perhaps there is also the issue of the kernel? I
don't know, but I would appreciate any help.
Below is my xorg.conf file and you can see I have 'Option "Stereo"' set to
"3". I have fiddled around with many of the options in the xorg.conf file -
basically trying every variation that i found other people had used.
However, still no luck, which makes me think there may be some driver or
kernel issue.

Anyhow, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (I would like to get
this monitor work before falling back on a CRT - if the flicker is terrible,
there will be no choice but it seems others have been using these monitors
for stereo).

thank you,
zach charlop-powers
PhD Candidate
Graduate School of Biological Sciences
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York, NY

### Xorg configuration created by livna-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Files"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "Dell 3007WFP"
        HorizSync    30.0 - 100.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 76.0
        Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        Option      "Stereo" "3"
        Option      "AllowDFPStereo" "1"
        Option      "UBB" "True"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        Option      "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "2560x1600" "1600x1200" "1600x1024" "1440x900"
"1400x1050"
"1280x1024" "1280x960" "1280x800" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
"640x400"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

--
Steven Stayrook, Ph.D.
Assistant Director Johnson Research Foundation

e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone:  215-573-9968
fax:    215-573-2503

--- End Message ---