On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 15:50 -0400, Neeraj wrote:
> hi all,
>         I am working on a protein for which we get nicely diffracting
> crystals but the problem is that the crystals grow from anywhere between
> 4-6 months. Does anyone has any general suggestions as to what things
> can be changed or tried to speed up the process. Any help or suggestions
> would be welcome as i am crawling towards getting enough crystals to
> make a synchroton visit:):)

Perhaps some degradation such as proteolysis is necessary before
crystallization. Try working in less clean conditions.

Or, you could take some of your existing crystals and subject them to
analysis, such as mass spec. If there is something like proteolysis
occurring, you may be able to identify the site that way, and pre-cut
your protein, or even engineer a shorter version. We did something
similar to this for heme oxygenase.

Cheers,

With the single exception of Cornell, there is not a college in the
United States where truth has ever been a welcome guest - R.G. Ingersoll
                              David J. Schuller
                              modern man in a post-modern world
                              MacCHESS, Cornell University
                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]