The literature already contains quite a few papers discussing ligand-protein
interactions derived from low-resolution data, noisy data, etc. It's
relatively easy to take a low-quality map; dock the molecule willy-nilly
into the poorly defined 'blobule' of density, and derive spectacular
conclusions. However, in order for such conclusions to be credible one needs
to support them with orthogonal data such as biological assay results,
mutagenesis, etc. This is not limited to crystallography as such, and it's
the referee's job to be thorough in such cases. To the author's credit, in
*most* cases the questionable crystallographic data is supported by
biological data of high quality. So, even with the images, etc. - it's still
quite possible to be honestly mislead. Which is why we value biological
data.

Consequently, if one's conclusions are wrong - this will inevitably show up
later in the results of other experiments (such as SAR inconsistencies for
example). Science tends to be self-correcting - our errors (whether honest
or malicious) are not going to withstand the test of time.

Assuming that the proportion of deliberate faking in scientific literature
is quite small (and we really have no reason to think otherwise!), I really
see no reason to worry too much about the ligand-protein interactions. Any
referee evaluating ligand-based structural papers can ask to see an omit map
(or a difference density map before any ligand was built) and a decent
biological data set supporting the structural conclusions. In the case of
*sophisticated deliberate faking*, there is not much a reviewer can do
except trying to actually reproduce the claimed results.

On the other hand, the 'wholesale' errors can be harder to catch, since the
dataset and the resulting structure are typically the *only* evidence
available. If both are suspect, the reviewer needs to rely on something else
to make a judgement, which is where a one-page summary would come handy.

Artem