Hello All,

I was wondering whether anybody has a reference in which the following method
is used:

Integral Membrane Protein (IMP) Topology by MS Fingerprinting. Express IMP,
subject whole cells to
membrane-impermeable, membrane-soluble, and membrane-crossing, lysine-specific
reagents to label
all free lysines in each compartment (i.e., extracellular, membrane-spanning,
and intracellular
(and buried, which would not get labeled)). Then do rudimentary purification,
run a gel, cut out
the band, run trypsinolysis-based fingerprinting, and compare the weights of
the fragments with the
unlabelled. Those bands with a shift would have been exposed to the reagent in
that experiment,
indicating that fragment/lysine's location with respect to the cell membrane.

I suspect that somebody must have thought of this previously...there is nothing
new under the sun.

Jacob Keller