Acording to the product specs from NEC that drive model is only designed to
write up to 8X speed, it was never intended to write any faster.  Nothing
wrong with the drive, it just is not designed to burn any faster.  For
burning 16X discs at 8X speed, maybe a firmware update, or maybe it is a
settings issue, but using 16X discs will just cost you more so I would
suggest not worrying about it and either sticking with 8X discs or getting a
new, higher-speed burner.

Stuart

--

Stuart T. Endo-Streeter