Dear Colleagues,

  Warren makes a good point, but let me recast it slightly.  We are
all part of the structural biology community, and we, as a community,
need to get together and explore our options for interchange of
information.  Some of us already have a proposal pending with the
NSF for a collaboration on Management of Experimental Data in Structural
Biology (MEDSBIO) to institutionalize that process for our raw
experimental data.  The wwPDB, as a member of the community, is
cooperating in that effort.  Perhaps it is time for another formal
collaboration, say, a collaboration of Management of Derived
Information in Structural Biology (MDISBIO) that would focus on
coordinates and other derived information.  I hope and believe
that the wwPDB would cooperate in that effort, and I am certain the
MEDSBIO would cooperate as well.

  I am not proposing a standardization effort.  There are too many
valid, but diverse, needs and the pace of change is too rapid for one representation to satisfy everybody, but we could work to reduce
the current chaos to more manageable levels and work to achieve
clean, well-documented interoperability among the necessary minimum
number of standards.

  In the computer science community, we have learned to live with
multiple programming languages, and to treat the "standards" for
those languages as living documents to be studied and considered
in an open and collaborative manner and to revise those standards
every few years.  This practice might serve the structural biology
community as well.

  Regards,
    Herbert