Hi Graeme,

I suppose you refer to the poster that was presented by Annette Faust,
Andrea Schmidt, Victor Lamzin and Manfred Weiss from EMBL Hamburg with
the title:
Lysozyme crystals - ready to use.
In this poster they present crosslinking of lysozyme crystals with styrene and/or glutaraldehyde and show that they still diffract at RT after several months. The (i.m.h.o. simplest) recipe is:

Soak overnight in 25% (v/v) glutaraldehyde
Dip into nail polish (It didn't say which brand)
Dry and store at RT.

The crystals of Mo2P4O15 that James is referring have a unit cell of a =
24.133(2), b =19.579(2), c = 25.109(2)A° , beta=99.962(3)u with a cell
volume of 11685(1)A°, but I suppose that most molecular biologists are
better in preparing lysozyme crystals then in heating a 3 : 1 molar
ratio of (NH4)2HPO4 and MoO3 in a Pt crucible to 873 K followed by
washing to remove excess P.
(see
http://www.rsc.org/delivery/_ArticleLinking/DisplayArticleForFree.cfm?doi=b408413f&JournalCode=CC)
for the entire article, which is freely available.

Cheers,

Bram

Winter, G (Graeme) wrote:
Hi All,
I heard about a way of preparing crystals - presented at the BSR recently as "Crystals to go" - which allows them to be carried at room temperature then cooled for data collection i.e. for beamline testing. Please could someone point me in the right direction for the instructions on how to do this, as I didn't get a chance to see the poster! Thanks, Graeme

Bram Schierbeek
Application Scientist Structural Biological Solutions
Bruker AXS BV
Oostsingel 209,P.O.Box 811
2600 AV Delft, the Netherlands
T: +31 (0)152 152 508