Dear all,

I've been working on a series of DNA-protein complex structures. In my
recently acquired data sets, I got almost no density for DNA if I do
molecular replacement or rigid body fitting with the protein structure,
although I am 100% sure I have DNA in the structure by indepenent means. If
I use models with DNA, I could find some DNA density with those data sets,
but as I refine the structure, the density became very poor. The resolutions
for those data sets are between 2.0-2.4 A.  Also, if I use the scaled data
from synchrotron rather than the re-scaled data at home, I got better DNA
density, although for re-scaling, I used site parameters that I copied done
from synchrotron. The only differences between those two sets of scaled data
are: (1) the original scaled data take into account all reflections,
including high resolution data with low completeness/redundancy, which are
cut in the re-scaling; (2) error models were changed so chi squares for each
bin are 0.8-1.2 for re-scaling.

My (very naive) questions are: (1) Does the DNA density I saw in the cases
where I use models with DNA for MR/rigid body fitting only reflect model
bias? (2) are simulated annealing or cycles of coordinate/B factor
refinement enough to get rid of model bias? (3) Does weak DNA density have
to do with data processing?

Thanks very much for any suggestion,
Melody Lin