----- Original Message -----
From: "Nave, C (Colin)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Several have raised the issue of radiation damage. The strategy which
> Bob mentions can make sense, ensuring fresh parts of the crystal are
> regularly brought in to the beam. I would have thought 5-10 micron beams
> were rather too small if your crystal is several times bigger than this.
> I think the microbeams can overcook the samples, particularly when
> collecting large rotation ranges. The centre part of the crystal (if
> centred!) is constantly in the beam in this case.

On the other hand, why perfectly centre the crystal? A set-up where a
narrow beam runs past rather than through the rotation axis will spare the
central voxel entirely; apart from a somewhat more often exposed doughnut
around the axis, only fresh parts of the crystal are illuminated that way.

Sebastiaan Werten.