Simon,

We routinely obtain structures from protein solutions with a big pellet of
ligand in the bottom of the tube. For co-crystallizations we add 1mM
compound to a 0.3mM solution of the protein and incubate overnight. Many of
the compounds are only soluble to 50micromolar, so we get a lot of
precipitate. The next day, we spin the tube at high speed, and use the
supernatant for crystallization trials. We have started from 100mM stocks in
100% DMSO or ethanol. This has worked for compounds ranging for picomolar to
micromolar affinity, which surprised us, but it worked.

Regards,
Kendall