Check out the letters in the Dec 2007 edition of Acta D. There is lively discussion even among the experts (and while I recall no mention of angels in this discussion, there IS a reference to Winnie the Pooh).

Acta Cryst. (2007). D63, 1274-1281
Acta Cryst. (2007). D63, 1282-1283

Some people believe 0.02 Å deviation from ideality is reasonable, based on the accuracy of the dictionary values of bond lengths and angles; others
consider that to be "too sloppy" and a way to artificially deflate
Rfactors.

I seem to have detected a tendency in the literature to aim for about 0.01 Å deviation. The new refinement program phenix.refine, which is supposed to optimize weighting between X-ray terms and stereochemical constraints automatically, seems to settle in at quite conservative values, such as 0.005 Å, whereas with refmac, I can't seem to get the geometry any more ideal than 0.005 Å even if I try to idealize a structure in the absence of
X-ray data.

So, like you, I am a bit confused, and wouldn't mind hearing more from the
experts.

All the best,

Bill

yang li wrote:
Dear All,
I am very sorry to involve you into such insignificance discussion,
have reached agreement
with Prof Gerard, please stop talking about things beyond science, thanks! I read a book today, which said "A refined model should exhibit rms
deviations of no more
than 0.02A for bond length and 4 for bond angels", I just wonder about the
standard of the
bond length and the bond angel. I think most of you have read similar
words!
But maybe I
didnot express clearly and made some phrasal mistakes.
      At last, happy new year to you all--though very late!

Sincerely!
Yang Li

Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.                                         (215) 762-7706
Associate Professor                                     FAX: (215) 762-4452
Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497