BS"D

Thank you to all the respondents.

Some comments:

1. Some believe that the write performance in RAID 5 is only as good as performance to one disk. This is true only in RAID 3 (under certain conditions), where parity is written as a separate operation to one dedicated parity disk. With distributed parity in RAID 5 this bottleneck is overcome, and write performance is better than single disk limits.

2. These are SATA II drives which are rated at 3Gb/s, or 375MB/s; even if single-drive I/O limits were a problem, we are not reaching this value.

I think James Holton's suggestions are more on the mark. We will try and investigate.

Thanks

Harry