On Friday 18 January 2008 07:50, Santarsiero, Bernard D. wrote:

> I do recall Rmerge being more popular with the small molecule
> crystallographers. However, I also recall a difference between averaging
> over pairs of reflections that were or were not Bijvoet pairs, for even
> small differences in the anomalous scattering contributions.

That matches my understanding.

Rmerge is an average over replicate measurements of the intensity for
identical [hkl]. Rsym is an average over the measurements for all symmetry
equivalent reflections.

In the presence of anomalous scattering, Rsym will be higher than Rmerge
because the Bijvoet pairs, although symmetry related, do not have identical
intensities.

One might logically report two values for Rsym,  one which averages
over the Bijvoet-paired reflections and one which does not.  Although
the data processing programs are happy to make this distinction
(e.g. the "Anomalous" and "Scale Anomalous" tick-boxes in HKL2000),
the separate values obtained are rarely seen in a published "Table 1".

> I seem to recall hearing Rsym first when I used the Xuong-Hamlin detector.

Same for me.

Before that, as a neophyte graduate student, I used a diffractometer and
foolishly programmed it to collect only the minimal set of data corresponding
to one asymmetric unit of reciprocal space.  This demonstrated my
understanding of space group symmetry, but also my ignorance of statistics and
good experimental practice. Since the resulting data sets contained no symmetry
equivalents, there was no Rsym to be calculated.  There was still an Rmerge if
multiple crystals were used for the collection, however.

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center