Brenda,

Generally speaking it is not abnormal to at least *hope* for co-crystals to
appear at or around the condition(s) where the native crystals are grown.
Therefore many people in fact begin looking for co-crystals by screening a
fine grid around the expected crystallization conditions for the apo-
protein. It is useful to remember those early crystallization hits that were
never followed up - often the co-crystals will pop up in those, instead of
the 'main' crystallization hit, so if you remember these early hits you may
be able to spare yourself the expense and tedium of a complete re-screen.

Now, having said this I also would like to add that it is also quite likely
to get co-crystals to grow in other (sometimes completely unrelated)
conditions. Depending on the number of ligands under consideration and on
protein supply you may or may not be able to do a full re-screen with each
ligand. In pharma we often have to co-crystallize with dozens (and sometimes
hundreds) of compounds during the course of a project and we tend to pick up
patterns of crystallization preferences based on compound class and/or
geometry.

Finally, it helps to remember that some protein/ligand combinations may not
(easily, or ever) crystallize. In several cases that I can think of we had
to use cross-soaking, different protein versions, or analogous (but
different!) compounds in order to get the structure. In one recent case I
had a situation where the protein would only crystallize if the ligand
occupied one of the two binding sites in a homodimer. The other site was
occupied by sulfate. This was pure serendipity - by luck my ligand and
sulfate concentrations were just right - when I purposefully shifted the
ratio either way, the crystals grew worse and eventually did not grow at
all.

Good luck,

Artem